Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Making Woven Newspaper Baskets

Last semester I took some classes with Knowledge Commons DC, a volunteer run initiative where people volunteer to teach classes on any subject of their interest, and anyone can take classes for free. I loved sitting through some classes, and wanted to share what I know what to do, so I signed up for volunteering. I heard back from the organization and had to come up with my specific lesson. I decided the easiest craft to do with the most inexpensive materials was the woven paper basket class.



I made some newspaper baskets last year, following the tutorial on It's in the News and they are still going strong. I use them all the time to catch odds and ends and corral little bits that would clutter my bedside shelves. With no glue and only folding required, it was the perfect craft. I've been practicing at home to make some smaller baskets to figure out what the best size would be to teach, and to make some samples to show different variations on the same theme.



I no longer have a source of newspaper, so I decided to use the last month's Hill Rag with good results. The previous baskets had been made with 4 inch wide newspaper strips folded down to half an inch, this batch uses only 2 inch wide strips to make them faster to fold and make for class, making thinner baskets which is OK since they will also be smaller. I had forgotten little details, such as the best way to weave in the ends so the tops are sturdy, and while with the larger baskets it was easy to weave the ends on the inside, with smaller openings, weaving to the outside seems the way to go. I like the patina that the first baskets have acquired, makes them look nice and worn in, fuzzy around the edges.




1 comment:

  1. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
    Skull Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete