Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cowls Galore

After the Kuusk cowl, I cast on the swatch for a new lace shawl, but halfway through I realized I needed an easy knit pattern that didn't require a lot of thought, fiddling and was a quick knit. So I cast on and knit the Grace Jones Cowl with some rough spun single ply yarn I had in my stash of free yarn.


Kuusk Cowl

Before and during blocking 

I don't have blocking wires or a surface, so I just placed a towel over a cardboard box, used cotton thread to straighten the sides and then blocked it aggressively overnight.

Such a wrinkly mess!


 Stretching it out the long way, so that it hugs the neck. I'm assuming it will widen with use.



It turned out light and airy, which I'm sure will be perfect for fall. Then I got thinking about winter, and I cast on for a different one.

The Grace Jones Cowls

Actually, there are two of them. For one I cast on more than was required, as I thought it would come out too skinny and wanted it wider. The second I knit as suggested. I am planning a third in double width, to wrap around the neck twice or let it hang down if it gets too hot.  I used the pink and a dark tweedy blue. I followed the pattern, very simple, just rounds in knits then purls and knit until I ran out of yarn.

This is the stash of free yarn. It is thick and thin, spun unevenly and slubby in spots, which I think worked with this simple pattern. Although it broke off in several areas, it was easy enough to splice it together and avoid knots.

Wide one and a slimmer one.
The cowls all together!

Same color, very different look!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment