Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Adding a cross-body strap to a purse

I have a handbag that I love to use. It is big and roomy and the olive canvas with brown accents is neutral enough that it goes with most anything. However, it keeps slipping from my shoulders whenever I use it, so whenever I wear it, I only have one hand free to do other things since the other is needed to keep the purse in place.  I decided to solve the problem by making a strap for it!



 Sometimes I need to force myself to just get things done: I had procrastinated the sewing of the strap because I wanted to sew it on the machine, make it adjustable, removable and I was waiting to find the right fabric, the leather remnant, the metal slides in similar finish and the clips so that it matched the rest of the purse.  And in waiting for the "perfect match" I was walking around with an unsolved problem.

In the end, my need was to have a cross body purse strap. Not to have the best looking, most amazing dead-ringer strap. So on the belief that anything is better than nothing, I just went ahead and made one with what I had in hand. Cost for the project = 0.

I cut a strip from an upholstery fabric remnant I had lying around that was in the same muted hues as the purse. I folded the raw edges in and then using embroidery floss I sewed a double sided running stitch.  For the end I just folded in the selvedge and did some cross stitches to keep it in place, with the sides being visibly whip stitched together.  

I liked this experiment in doing instead of thinking about doing. I call it success!



No comments:

Post a Comment