Thursday, June 13, 2013

Volunteering at ScrapDC

 I've been working on a freelance job, so while it does not take up all my time, I find that once I sit in front of a computer, I tend to spend most of my day there, and it is  easy to get distracted from work due to shiny internet stuff.  However, I have been busy!

I volunteer at a creative reuse center called ScrapDC at 52 O St. NW and last week my schedule was packed with ScrapDC activities!  I went over there on Thursday to do my hours, where I usually organize shelves, put away things and sometimes make new things from the materials available at the store. A previous week, I spent the whole afternoon organizing the fabric area, and it ended up looking like this:

Not too bad for different sizes, weights and types of fabric!


Then on Friday I went to a neighborhood public charter school that we've been working with as a judge for a creative reuse vocabulary fashion show, where kids would have to illustrate through a costume a vocabulary word, ideally repurposing and recycling materials, instead of buying things new.  On Saturday morning we were at the Renwick: they were hosting a family day with crafting activities and we had gift packages made with empty toilet paper rolls and decorated with fabric, string and paper. Some great pictures of the finished products are on the Facebook page. I also had a chance to make stuff from the other organizations there: I made a pipecleaner kitty sculpture in a jar, and a beaded bracelet:


I love making things, and whenever I'm at Scrap I can't help but be inspired by all the materials around me. With the lack of craft, fabric or notions stores that are metro accessible in DC Scrap certainly fills a niche and I'm happy to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment