Friday, June 14, 2013

Alfajores

I'm getting a bit better with meal planning: I'm making yummy food for dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day. For example: this week we had mango cheese-cake popsicles, Colombian empanadas, a cold pasta salad and alfajores. I don't usually take pictures of when I cook or the process because I don't feel too great about my kitchen, there's not enough space or good spots for nice pictures and lighting is far from ideal. Also, I'm mostly cooking other people's recipes and it doesn't make much sense to do a tutorial of cooking what someone else made (and for which they already have a tutorial). Except perhaps to say YAY! Yummy.

I am adding successful recipes to a Pinterest board so that I can quickly go over them and repeat past successes.  But back to last week's experiments. Here are some pics of the alfajores I made:  I covered some in chocolate in the Argentinean style to add a little twist to the recipe.  When my beater wasn't working I worried about the cookies, but it turned out that creaming the sugar and butter by hand was just fine, the end product was just as delicious.  I'm now on the hunt for a round cookie cutter to make smaller cookies, for these I used a drinking glass and an empty crystal light canister, and ended up with just about 10 alfajores. Smaller cutter would equal more alfajores, making them easier to share.



Now that I know that the alfajores are yummy and easy to make, perhaps next time I will take some pictures, and document my own twists on the recipe. I'm thinking I could include some lemon zest in the shortbread, and then finish them differently, for example rolling the edges in coconut, dusting with sugar or coating with chocolate: 3 different kinds of alfajores to chose from, in dainty sizes to share. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment